Mechado is a dish in the Philippines that is usually beef, stewed in tomato sauce, soy sauce, lemon or calamansi. Came from the Spanish word "mecha". Meaning to lard meat or combine meat with fat.
As time goes by, Filipinos were able to think new varities on how to cook the dish and its ingredients. Like chicken mechado, pork mechado, lean meat mechado. I even came across a hotdog mechado once! That's how creative we are when it comes to food. So list down the ingredients and maybe you can also make your own version of this dish.
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 piece large onion, sliced
2 lbs beef chuck,cubed
8 ounces tomato sauce
1 cup water
3 tbsp cooking oil
1 slice lemon with rind
1 piece large potato, cubed
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
2 pcs. bay leaves (laurel)
salt to taste
1. Saute garlic and then onion in a pan.
2. Add the beef in the pan. Stir and let stand until golden brown.
3. Add the tomato sauce, water, soy sauce, ground black pepper, lemon rind, bay leaves.
4. Stir occasionally. Simmer until beef is tender.
5. Add the potatoes and simmer until they are cooked.
6. Place in a bowl or plate and enjoy! (Best served with rice)